head 3
head2
head1

COVID-19 outbreak confirmed at Intel construction site in Leixlip; about 70 workers infected

KILDARE: An outbreak of COVID-19 has been confirmed at the Intel production site in Leixlip, Kildare. So far 70 COVID cases have been reported from the site. There are signs that there will be more cases. The COVID outbreak on Ireland’s largest construction site, which employs 5,000 people, is cause for concern. There have also been calls to shut down the Intel site.

According to an Intel spokesperson, the company is in active contact with public health officials. The workers on the site have been informed about the outbreak. “We are working to support our construction team in whatever way we can – to understand what has happened in this situation and how it can be addressed with corrective measures,” the spokesperson said.

“For all confirmed cases, contact tracing was conducted and any other workers who may have been exposed have been required to self-quarantine and monitor their health. Additional testing of workers at the construction site is being carried out and any affected areas are subject to deep cleaning and disinfection.” Intel said it would not disclose details of any particular cases for confidential reasons.

The HSE said that it is aware of all COVID-19 outbreaks in the country but cannot comment on individual cases or outbreaks. It also said that a risk assessment and “appropriate investigations” are underway. The Health and Safety Authority, which oversees workplace safety, also said it was aware of the outbreak.

PBP calls for site closure

Meanwhile, the People Before Profit (PBP) demanded that the Intel construction site be shut down. PBP Employment Spokesperson Paul Murphy described the situation at the Intel site as a “mass outbreak”. Mr. Murphy said that staff had previously contacted him, citing over 150 cases on the site. He also demanded an investigation into whether the workers were safe.

CIF says situation is under control

Tom Parlon, Director General of the Construction Industry Federation, said the infection at the Intel site would not affect the reopening of the construction sector.

It is important to note that while there were 70 cases on the Intel site, only 33 cases had been detected in the construction sector as of midnight on April 19. Last week it was 42. He said that there have been 145 cases at construction sites since early January.

Mr. Parlon said Intel site is the biggest in the country, well-managed, and has one of the most robust Standard Operating Procedures. He stated that PCR testing had already been completed at the site, and that antigen testing would begin the following week.

Kindly click the link below to join WhatsApp group chat to get important news and breaking news from Irish Samachar

https://chat.whatsapp.com/KBqVjwrzvrb386McEnoyZ5

Comments are closed.